Moment of truth...

  • if you saw your problems in a pile with everyone elses you would probably grab yours back.
  • all that really matters is that you loved
  • growing old beats the alternative--dying young
  • your kids get only one childhood.
  • forgive
  • frame every so called disaster with these words "in 5 years will this matter?"
  • no one is in charge of your happiness except you.
  • get rid of anything that isnt beautiful, useful or brings you joy.
  • Dont compare your life to others, you have no idea what their journey is all about.
  • its ok to let your kids see you cry.
  • Make peace with your past so it doesn't screw up the present.
  • Your job won't take care of you when you are sick; but your family will, keep in touch!
  • Just keep taking that next small step.
  • Life isn't fair, but it's still good!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Man, maybe sometimes I am just too hard on myself~








There are times in every paretns life that they wonder if they are getting anywhere with their children, if they are teaching them the things they need to know for life and if the children are picking up at all what you are hoping they do. Thats where I have been at for quite a while...I think that my kids are just blowing me off 90% of the time and that I have to be failing miserably as a parent in that area. Then they do things occasionally that make me think maybe im not doing such an awful job. Thats what happened earlier today and again this evening. Earlier the kids were wanting a snack and I had told them NO because they had already had their snack and I didn't want to ruin supper. So Carter continues...
"can i have a cookie"
"nope"
"a candy?"
"nope"
"well, I can have some grapes...."
"Carter, I said no!"
"grapes are good for me, and so are apples mom, I can have them, they aren't junk!"
Man, he has me there! and I am so proud of him for recognising that all the snacks he was asking me for were junk and knew that I would tell him no because of it, but surely I couldn't say no to something healthy! hahaha I hate to admit it, but the little smarty got a few grapes for that one!
Later this evening, Jaysen, who seems to be the one who pulls stupid stunts most and who I seem to wory about most. He just seems to be oblivious to logic half the time and does things that are so silly and strange and absent minded. Well tonight we had French Toast for supper, of course we had syrup with it. Jaysen, not paying any attention poured his on the floor instead of the plate (yep, those are the silly absent minded things i am talking about) He looked at me with a look of confusion on his face and says
"well, I guess I should get a towel"
"yep, I guess you should" I replied.
So as he is getting a towel and cleaning it up he stops and starts digging under the sink. I wondered what on earth he was doing, because spills are a regular happening in our house, usually wiped up and forgotten about. He got the spray cleaner out and said "I think ill use this also since syrup is so sticky, I don't want to leave a sticky smear on the floor for everyone to walk on." WOW! I couldn't believe that he not only wiped up the mess but thought to actually get rid of the sticky mess!!!
Moral of the story is that even though it isn't obvious all the time that the kids are picking up the things im throwin at them, they are. When they do show you that they are comprehending all the things, it is such a great feeling of success~
Also we finally got to do Jaysens Parent teacher conference. It started to feel like we were never going to get it done, but FINALLY! He is doing great in school, his teacher had great things to say about him and couldn't say enough how sharp his mind is. He really is a great kid!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of my simple pleasures....

  • My garden
  • flowers-not cut flowers, real live ones, especially in my yard where they are growing and beautiful
  • making lists...honestly i do enjoy making lists, even grocery lists or things I need to get done...I know its dumb!
  • Backyardigans
  • smelly-good candles really do make me happy
  • photography. I love it, all of it!
  • cooking-yeah not really the usual breakfast, lunch, dinner routine, but I do enjoy cooking in general!
  • Good Book
  • writing, it doesn't much matter what, even just a journal or a few lines of thoughts here or there, i just enjoy watching ink and paper turning into thoughts.
  • a nice hot cup of coffee
  • a pretty sunset on fall evenings
  • bottle calves...(i know dumb, but they make me smile!)

Places I DREAM of going...

  • cuba
  • Russia
  • A Deserted island with Casey
  • Back to Germany
  • Austrailia
  • Ireland